Herbed Polenta Spoon Bread
Yield: Makes 6 servings
More From Sunset
Amount per serving
- Calories: 270
- Calories from fat: 18%
- Protein: 15g
- Fat: 5.3g
- Saturated fat: 2.2g
- Carbohydrate: 39g
- Fiber: 4.7g
- Sodium: 240mg
- Cholesterol: 78mg
- 1 cup polenta
- 2 cups fat-skimmed chicken broth
- 1/2 cup evaporated nonfat milk
- 1/2 cup shredded parmesan cheese
- 1/4 cup minced fresh chives or green onions
- 2 teaspoons minced fresh sage leaves or 1/2 teaspoon dried rubbed sage
- salt and pepper to taste
- 4 large egg whites
- 1 large egg yolks
- 1. In a 5- to 6-quart pan, blend polenta, chicken broth, 1 cup water, and evaporated nonfat milk. Stir over high heat until mixture boils, then reduce heat and simmer, stirring often, until polenta is smooth to taste, about 15 minutes. Stir in the shredded parmesan cheese, minced fresh chives or green onions, sage, and salt and pepper to taste.
- 2. While polenta cooks, in a deep bowl, with a mixer on high speed, whip 4 large egg whites until they hold soft peaks.
- 3. Remove polenta from heat and stir in 2 large egg yolks and about 1/3 of the whipped egg whites, then fold in remaining whites.
- 4. Scrape mixture into a lightly oiled shallow 1 1/2-quart casserole (8- by 11-in. oval) and spread level.
- 5. Bake spoon bread in a 375° oven until well browned at the edges and lightly browned on top, about 40 minutes (about 30 minutes in a convection oven). Spoon portions onto plates.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Side Dishes/Vegetables