Excellent soup. This is very flavorful. Takes little time and effort, perfect on a weeknight. Was yummy with grilled cheese sandwiches!
Herbed Parmesan Potato Soup
Prepared mashed potatoes tend to come packed with a lot of sodium--too much for a side dish. Here we stretch them out into an entrée-sized soup that's creamy, cheesy, and brightened with fresh herbs.
More From Cooking Light
Total: 24 Minutes
- Calories: 198
- Fat: 9g
- Saturated fat: 5.4g
- Monounsaturated fat: 2.4g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 0.7g
- Protein: 9.7g
- Carbohydrate: 19.9g
- Fiber: 2.8g
- Cholesterol: 27mg
- Iron: 1.2mg
- Sodium: 597mg
- Calcium: 174mg
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 3 shallots, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, chopped
- 3 cups unsalted chicken stock (such as Swanson)
- 1 (24-ounce) container prepared traditional mashed potatoes (such as Simply Potatoes)
- 1/2 cup torn fresh basil leaves, divided
- 6 thyme sprigs
- 2 tablespoons coarsely chopped fresh chives, divided
- 1/4 cup half-and-half
- 2 ounces Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese, grated (about 1/2 cup)
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1. Heat a medium saucepan over medium heat. Add oil to pan; swirl to coat. Add shallots; cook 5 minutes or until shallots begin to brown, stirring frequently. Add garlic; cook 1 minute or until fragrant. Stir in stock; cook 30 seconds. Transfer stock mixture to a blender; process until smooth.
- 2. Return stock mixture to pan; add potatoes, stirring with a whisk until combined. Stir in 1/4 cup basil, thyme, and 1 tablespoon chives; bring to a boil. Cook 1 minute. Remove from heat; discard thyme. Stir in half-and-half, cheese, and pepper. Sprinkle with remaining 1/4 cup basil and remaining 1 tablespoon chives.
MyRecipes is working with Let's Move!, the Partnership for a Healthier America, and USDA's MyPlate to give anyone looking for healthier options access to a trove of recipes that will help them create healthy, tasty plates. For more information about creating a healthy plate, visit www.choosemyplate.gov.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note