Herbed Oatmeal Pan Bread
- 2 cups water
- 1 cup uncooked regular oats
- 3 tablespoons butter or margarine
- 3 1/2 to 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 (1/4-ounce) envelopes active dry yeast
- 1 large egg
- 1 tablespoon grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 6 tablespoons butter or margarine, melted and divided
- Bring 2 cups water to a boil in a medium saucepan; stir in oats, and remove from heat. Stir in 3 tablespoons butter, and let mixture cool to 120°.
- Combine 1 1/2 cups flour, sugar, salt, and yeast in a large mixing bowl; add oat mixture and egg, and beat at low speed with an electric mixer until blended. Beat at medium speed 3 minutes. Stir in enough remaining flour to make a stiff dough.
- Turn dough out onto a floured surface, and knead until smooth and elastic (about 5 minutes). Cover and let rest 15 minutes.
- Punch dough down; turn out onto a lightly floured surface, and knead lightly 4 or 5 times. Press dough into a greased 13- x 9-inch pan. Cut diagonal lines 1 1/2 inches apart, cutting completely through dough. Rotate pan, and repeat procedure in opposite direction forming diamonds.
- Cover and let rise in a warm place (85°), free from drafts, 45 minutes or until doubled in bulk.
- Combine cheese and next 3 ingredients; set aside.
- Drizzle dough with 4 tablespoons melted butter.
- Bake at 375° for 15 minutes; brush with remaining 2 tablespoons melted butter, and sprinkle with cheese mixture. Bake 10 more minutes or until golden brown. Serve warm or at room temperature.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Breads