- 1 pound fresh mushrooms, cleaned and divided
- 1 tablespoon salt, divided
- 1 tablespoon sugar, divided
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped onion, divided
- 2 cloves garlic, minced and divided
- 1/4 teaspoon white pepper, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon ground oregano, divided
- 2 cups red wine vinegar, divided
- 2 cups vegetable oil, divided
How to Make It
Place half of mushrooms in a quart jar. Add 1 1/2 teaspoons salt, 1 1/2 teaspoons sugar, 1 tablespoon onion, 1 clove garlic, 1/8 teaspoon white pepper, 1/8 teaspoon red pepper, 1/8 teaspoon oregano, 1 cup vinegar, and 1 cup oil. Cover and shake to mix well. Repeat procedure with remaining ingredients in a separate jar. Refrigerate overnight. Serve with a slotted spoon.
Note: Herbed Mushrooms may be prepared up to 1 week ahead of time.