Herbed Filet Mignon, Bean, and Arugula Salad
Notes: Katharine Kagel of Cafe Pasqual's in Santa Fe collaborated with David Mendoza on this recipe.
Yield: Makes 4 servings
More From Sunset
Amount per serving
- Calories: 711
- Calories from fat: 46%
- Protein: 46g
- Fat: 36g
- Saturated fat: 7.3g
- Carbohydrate: 55g
- Fiber: 9.9g
- Sodium: 98mg
- Cholesterol: 72mg
- 1 1/2 cups (3/4 lb.) dried white beans such as White Aztec, Cannellini, or Flageolet
- 1 pound filet mignon steaks (about 1 3/4 in. thick), fat trimmed
- 1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 tablespoons minced fresh sage leaves
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh thyme leaves
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh oregano leaves
- About 1 teaspoon salt (optional)
- About 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 quart lightly packed arugula
- 1/2 cup (1 oz.) wide shavings parmesan cheese (optional)
- Lemon wedges
- 1. Sort beans for debris, then rinse. Bring beans and 6 cups water to a boil over high heat in a 5- to 6-quart pan. Cover, boil for 2 minutes, and remove from heat. Beans are ready to cook after soaking for 2 hours, but are more digestible after 4 hours. Drain and rinse beans.
- 2. Brown meat in 1 teaspoon oil in a 10- to 12-inch frying pan over medium-high heat, turning as needed, about 20 seconds per side. Discard oil.
- 3. Lift meat to a 9-inch baking pan. Bake in a 350° oven until a thermometer inserted into side of a steak reaches 128°, 20 to 25 minutes. Let meat cool, then chill airtight until cold, about 1 hour.
- 4. Combine sage, thyme, and oregano; set aside 3 tablespoons of the mixture. Thinly slice meat across the grain and place in the 9-inch pan. Mix with 2 tablespoons oil, then sprinkle evenly with remaining herbs, salt, and pepper. Chill airtight at least 30 minutes or up to 4 hours.
- 5. While meat cooks and cools, bring beans and 2 quarts water to a boil over high heat in a 5- to 6-quart pan. Reduce heat and simmer, covered, for 40 minutes. Add 1 teaspoon salt and 1/2 teaspoon pepper. Simmer until beans are just tender to bite, 30 to 40 minutes. Drain; transfer to a bowl.
- 6. In a 6- to 8-inch frying pan over medium heat, stir remaining oil and the garlic until garlic is pale golden, about 2 minutes. Stir in reserved herb mixture. Combine with beans. Add lemon juice. If making ahead, chill airtight up to 4 hours.
- 7. Bring meat (and beans, if chilled) to room temperature. Arrange arugula in a wide bowl. Spoon beans and then beef on top. Garnish with parmesan and serve with lemon wedges to squeeze over salad.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes Like This