More From Southern Living
Total: 40 Minutes
- 1 (1-oz.) package fresh chervil*
- 2 cups loosely packed fresh flat-leaf parsley leaves
- 2 tablespoons salt
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup finely chopped onion
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 1/2 cups uncooked farro (see "Pantry Key," below)
- 1. Remove leaves from chervil. Cook chervil, parsley, and salt in boiling water to cover in a small saucepan 45 seconds; drain. Plunge into ice water to stop the cooking process; drain. Process herbs and 1 cup water in a blender until smooth. Pour through a fine wire-mesh strainer into a bowl. Discard liquid.
- 2. Microwave chicken broth in a microwave-safe bowl at HIGH 5 minutes or until warm.
- 3. Meanwhile, sauté onion in hot oil in a Dutch oven over medium-high heat 5 to 6 minutes or until softened. Add garlic, and cook 1 minute. Add farro, and sauté 1 minute. Reduce heat to medium; add 1/2 cup hot broth, and cook, stirring constantly, until liquid is absorbed. Repeat procedure with remaining broth, 1/2 cup at a time, stirring constantly, until liquid is absorbed. Stir in 1/4 cup herb puree; reserve remaining puree for another use. Season with pepper to taste.
- Pantry Key. Farro: A deliciously chewy whole grain that's high in protein and has a bold, nutty flavor; a great alternate for anyone who loves barley.
- *1 (1-oz.) package fresh tarragon may be substituted.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes Like This