- 1/4 cup loosely packed fresh parsley
- 1/4 cup loosely packed fresh basil leaves
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme leaves
- 3/4 teaspoon coarsely ground pepper
- 5 (1-ounce) slices whole-wheat bread
- 2 egg whites, lightly beaten
- 2 tablespoons water
- 12 (4-ounce) skinned, boned chicken breast halves
- 12 very thin slices prosciutto (about 3 ounces)
- 6 (3/4-ounce) slices Swiss-flavored 1/3-less-fat process cheese product, halved
- Vegetable cooking spray
- Basil sprigs (optional)
- calories 196
- caloriesfromfat 18 %
- fat 4 g
- satfat 1.4 g
- monofat 1.1 g
- polyfat 0.9 g
- protein 31.9 g
- carbohydrate 6.6 g
- fiber 0.5 g
- cholesterol 70 mg
- iron 1.3 mg
- sodium 395 mg
- calcium 28 mg
How to Make It
Combine first 5 ingredients in food processor, and process until crumbs are fine; place crumbs in a shallow dish, and set aside. Combine egg whites and water in a shallow bowl; stir well, and set aside.
Place each chicken breast half between 2 sheets of heavy-duty plastic wrap, and flatten to 1/4-inch thickness using a meat mallet or rolling pin. Top each with a slice of prosciutto and a half piece of cheese. Roll up jelly-roll fashion. Tuck in sides; secure each roll with wooden picks. Dip each roll in egg white mixture; dredge in breadcrumb mixture. Place rolls, seam sides down, in a 15 x 10-inch jelly-roll pan coated with cooking spray.
Bake at 350° for 30 minutes or until done. Discard wooden picks. Cut each roll into thin slices. Garnish with basil sprigs, if desired.
Note: You can substitute 6 (3/4-ounce) slices of 97% fat-free ham, halved, for the prosciutto.