This is a fabulous recipe and one of the family favorites! Instead of making the green sauce, I buy tomatillo sauce. It cuts down on time and tastes great! I serve it with rice and a salad. It's healthy and delicious.
Herbed Chicken Breasts with Tomatillo Salsa and Queso Fresco
Queso fresco is a Mexican cheese that is mild, crumbly, and a bit salty. It's a wonderful topping for the tangy sauce.
Yield: 4 servings (serving size: 1 chicken breast half, 1/4 cup salsa, and 2 tablespoons cheese)
More From Cooking Light
Amount per serving
- Calories: 364
- Calories from fat: 26%
- Fat: 10.7g
- Saturated fat: 3.2g
- Monounsaturated fat: 4.5g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 1.6g
- Protein: 47.1g
- Carbohydrate: 17.7g
- Fiber: 2g
- Cholesterol: 162mg
- Iron: 3mg
- Sodium: 770mg
- Calcium: 169mg
- 2 quarts water
- 1/2 pound tomatillos (about 10 small), husks and stems removed
- 1 garlic clove
- 1/2 to 1 serrano chile
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 1/4 cup coarsely chopped onion
- 1 teaspoon fresh lime juice
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3 (1-ounce) slices white bread
- 4 (6-ounce) skinless, boneless chicken breast halves
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon ground red pepper
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 cup (2 ounces) crumbled queso fresco cheese
- Cilantro sprigs (optional)
- Lime wedges (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- To prepare salsa, bring water to a boil. Add tomatillos, garlic, and chile; cook 7 minutes. Drain and rinse with cold water. Combine tomatillos, garlic, chile, chopped cilantro, onion, lime juice, and 1/4 teaspoon salt in a food processor or blender; pulse 4 to 5 times or until coarsely chopped. Set aside.
- To prepare chicken, place bread in a food processor, and pulse 10 times or until coarse crumbs measure 1 1/2 cups. Arrange crumbs on a baking sheet; bake at 350° for 3 minutes or until lightly browned. Cool completely.
- Place each chicken breast half between 2 sheets of heavy-duty plastic wrap; pound to 1/2-inch thickness using a meat mallet or rolling pin. Combine 1/2 teaspoon salt, cumin, and red pepper; sprinkle evenly over chicken.
- Place breadcrumbs in a shallow dish. Place egg in another shallow dish. Dip chicken in egg; dredge in breadcrumbs.
- Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add chicken; cook 4 minutes on each side or until done. Top chicken with salsa, and sprinkle with queso fresco cheese. Garnish with cilantro sprigs and lime wedges, if desired.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes Like This