Herbed Carrot Soup
Rather than stirring the herbs into the soup, try setting out bowls of dill and tarragon--along with some crème fraîche or sour cream for dolloping--and let guests do the garnishing themselves.
More From Sunset
1 Hour, 15 Minutes
- Calories: 184
- Calories from fat: 54%
- Protein: 4.3g
- Fat: 11g
- Saturated fat: 7g
- Carbohydrate: 17g
- Fiber: 3.3g
- Sodium: 821mg
- Cholesterol: 29mg
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 2 medium onions, sliced
- 6 cloves garlic, coarsely chopped
- 3 pounds carrots, peeled and sliced into 1/4-in.-thick rounds
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/3 cup long-grain rice (any variety)
- 2 to 3 tsp. coarse kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 8 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1/4 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1 cup crème fraîche or sour cream
- 1 cup fresh dill, chopped
- 1 cup fresh tarragon, chopped
- 1. Melt butter in a large pot (at least 5 qts.) over medium-high heat, then add onions. Cook until onions are translucent, 5 to 7 minutes. Add garlic, carrots, bay leaf, rice, 2 tsp. salt, pepper, and chicken broth.
- 2. Increase heat to high and bring to a boil, then reduce to medium-high and cook, uncovered, until carrots are tender, about 20 minutes. Remove from heat and let cool 10 minutes.
- 3. Remove bay leaf and purée soup in batches in a blender. Return soup to pot and set over low heat. Add whipping cream and 2 cups water (if soup looks too thick, add a little more water) and cook until warmed through. Season to taste with additional salt.
- 4. Serve soup hot, with crème fraîche or sour cream, dill, and tarragon.
- Note: Nutritional analysis is per cup.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note