Great but not mushy at all like to stuffings are.
Herbed Bread Stuffing with Mushrooms and Sausage
Making your own bread cubes is easy and yields delicious results. You can prepare the toasted bread cubes two to three days before Thanksgiving; store at room temperature in a zip-top plastic bag. If there's space in the oven, bake the stuffing while the turkey roasts. Otherwise, bake it in the morning, and reheat it while the turkey stands.
More From Cooking Light
- Calories: 208
- Calories from fat: 27%
- Fat: 6.2g
- Saturated fat: 1.7g
- Monounsaturated fat: 1.9g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 1.2g
- Protein: 13.6g
- Carbohydrate: 25.9g
- Fiber: 4.1g
- Cholesterol: 68mg
- Iron: 2mg
- Sodium: 635mg
- Calcium: 46mg
- 1 1/2 pounds peasant-style white bread
- 4 (4-ounce) links sweet turkey Italian sausage
- 2 teaspoons butter
- 1 pound cremini mushrooms, quartered
- Cooking spray
- 2 cups chopped onion
- 1 1/4 cups chopped carrot
- 1 1/4 cups chopped celery
- 1/2 cup minced fresh parsley
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme leaves
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh sage
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 2 large eggs
- 1 (14-ounce) can fat-free, less-sodium chicken broth
- Preheat oven to 400°.
- Trim crust from bread. Cut bread into 1 1/2-inch cubes. Arrange bread cubes in a single layer on 2 jelly-roll pans. Bake at 400° for 10 minutes or until toasted.
- Reduce oven temperature to 350°.
- Cook sausage in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat 10 minutes, browning on all sides. Remove from pan; cut crosswise into 1/4-inch-thick slices.
- Melt butter in skillet over medium-high heat. Add mushrooms; sauté 4 minutes. Combine bread cubes, sausage, and mushrooms in a large bowl.
- Heat skillet over medium-high heat. Coat pan with cooking spray. Add onion, carrot, and celery; sauté 5 minutes or until lightly browned. Add parsley, thyme, sage, salt, and pepper; sauté 1 minute. Add to bread mixture. Combine eggs and broth, stirring with a whisk. Add to bread mixture; toss to coat. Spoon into a 13 x 9-inch baking dish coated with cooking spray. Bake at 350° for 45 minutes or until browned.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note