- 1 1/2 pounds peasant-style white bread
- 4 (4-ounce) links sweet turkey Italian sausage
- 2 teaspoons butter
- 1 pound cremini mushrooms, quartered
- Cooking spray
- 2 cups chopped onion
- 1 1/4 cups chopped carrot
- 1 1/4 cups chopped celery
- 1/2 cup minced fresh parsley
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme leaves
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh sage
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 2 large eggs
- 1 (14-ounce) can fat-free, less-sodium chicken broth
- calories 208
- caloriesfromfat 27 %
- fat 6.2 g
- satfat 1.7 g
- monofat 1.9 g
- polyfat 1.2 g
- protein 13.6 g
- carbohydrate 25.9 g
- fiber 4.1 g
- cholesterol 68 mg
- iron 2 mg
- sodium 635 mg
- calcium 46 mg
How to Make It
Preheat oven to 400°.
Trim crust from bread. Cut bread into 1 1/2-inch cubes. Arrange bread cubes in a single layer on 2 jelly-roll pans. Bake at 400° for 10 minutes or until toasted.
Reduce oven temperature to 350°.
Cook sausage in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat 10 minutes, browning on all sides. Remove from pan; cut crosswise into 1/4-inch-thick slices.
Melt butter in skillet over medium-high heat. Add mushrooms; sauté 4 minutes. Combine bread cubes, sausage, and mushrooms in a large bowl.
Heat skillet over medium-high heat. Coat pan with cooking spray. Add onion, carrot, and celery; sauté 5 minutes or until lightly browned. Add parsley, thyme, sage, salt, and pepper; sauté 1 minute. Add to bread mixture. Combine eggs and broth, stirring with a whisk. Add to bread mixture; toss to coat. Spoon into a 13 x 9-inch baking dish coated with cooking spray. Bake at 350° for 45 minutes or until browned.