Herbed Beef Tri-Tip Roast
Notes: Up to 5 hours ahead, start meat preparation.
Yield: Makes 8 to 10 servings
More From Sunset
Amount per serving
- Calories: 157
- Calories from fat: 24%
- Protein: 27g
- Fat: 4.2g
- Saturated fat: 1.4g
- Carbohydrate: 0.8g
- Fiber: 0.0g
- Sodium: 55mg
- Cholesterol: 72mg
- 1 beef tri-tip (about 2 1/2 lb.), fat-trimmed
- 3 or 4 cloves garlic, peeled
- 1 tablespoon dried Italian herb blend or herbes de Provence blend
- 1 cup beer or apple juice
- Salt and pepper
- 1. Rinse meat and pat dry. Cut 1/2-inch-wide slits all over roast. Cut garlic into 1/2-inch slices and tuck into meat slits. Rub meat with herbs. Place in 1-gallon heavy plastic food bag, add beer, and seal bag. Set in a bowl and chill at least 1 hour, or up to 4 hours; turn over occasionally.
- 2. Prepare barbecue. If using charcoal briquets, mound and ignite 60 briquets on the firegrate of a barbecue with a lid. When briquets are dotted with gray ash, in 15 to 20 minutes, push equal amounts to opposite sides of firegrate. Add 5 more briquets now, and every 30 minutes of cooking, to each mound of coals.
- If using a gas barbecue, turn heat to high and close lid for 10 minutes. Adjust burners for indirect cooking (no heat down center) and keep on high.
- Set a drip pan on fire grate between coals or burners. Set barbecue grill in place.
- 3. Lift meat from marinade and lay on grill, not over heat. Cover barbecue; open vents for charcoal. During the first 30 minutes, baste meat with marinade occasionally. Cook beef until a thermometer inserted in the center of the thickest part reaches 135° for medium-rare, 35 to 40 minutes. Discard remaining marinade.
- 4. Transfer beef to platter or board, keep warm, and let rest about 10 minutes. Cut meat into thin slices; add salt and pepper to taste.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Main Dishes