Herb-Topped Mussels on the Half Shell
Most mussels are now farm-raised, so they don't require cleaning and "debearding." This dish also works with clams.
Yield: 12 servings (serving size: 2 stuffed shells)
More From Cooking Light
Amount per serving
- Calories: 56
- Calories from fat: 40%
- Fat: 2.5g
- Saturated fat: 0.7g
- Monounsaturated fat: 1.1g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 0.4g
- Protein: 4.6g
- Carbohydrate: 3.4g
- Fiber: 0.1g
- Cholesterol: 12mg
- Iron: 1.5mg
- Sodium: 140mg
- Calcium: 21mg
- 24 medium mussels, scrubbed and debearded
- Cooking spray
- 1/4 cup chopped leek
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/4 cup clam juice
- 3 tablespoons half-and-half
- 1/2 teaspoon grated lemon rind
- 1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 (1 1/2-ounce) slice white bread
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 2 teaspoons chopped fresh thyme
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh oregano
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 2 bacon slices, cooked and crumbled
- Preheat oven to 500°.
- Arrange mussels in a single layer in a 13 x 9-inch baking dish. Bake at 500° for 8 minutes or until shells open; discard any unopened shells. Remove mussels and cooking liquid from dish. Strain cooking liquid through a sieve over a bowl; discard solids. Remove meat from mussels. Reserve 24 shell halves. Discard remaining shells. Arrange reserved mussel shells on a jelly roll pan; place 1 mussel in each shell.
- Heat a small saucepan coated with cooking spray over medium heat. Add leek; cook 3 minutes or until tender, stirring frequently. Add garlic; cook 30 seconds, stirring frequently. Stir in cooking liquid, clam juice, and half-and-half; bring to a boil. Cook until reduced to 1/4 cup (about 3 minutes). Stir in rind and juice.
- Preheat broiler.
- Place bread in a food processor, and process until fine crumbs measure 3/4 cup. Combine the breadcrumbs, parsley, thyme, oregano, oil, pepper, and bacon. Spoon 1/2 teaspoon sauce over each mussel. Lightly pack 2 teaspoons breadcrumb mixture into each shell. Broil 1 1/2 minutes or until golden.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
Herb-Topped Mussels on the Half Shell Recipe at a Glance
- COURSE: Appetizers, Hors d'Oeuvres
- CONVENIENCE: Entertaining
- CUISINE: American, New American
- MAIN INGREDIENT: Shellfish
- DIETARY CONSIDERATION: Low Cholesterol, Low Fat, Low Sodium, Low Saturated Fat
- COOKING METHOD: Food Processor, Broil, Roast
- OCCASION: Autumn, Spring, Summer, Winter
- PUBLICATION: Cooking Light
More Recipes for Appetizers