Best spoon bread we have tried. Crabs are sooo tasty and best of all, they are NOT fried. We found 10 minutes worked better than 7 on the crabs in the broiler though.
Herb-Stuffed Soft-Shell Crabs with Fresh Corn Spoon Bread
The herb mixture is rubbed under the crab shells so it can flavor the delicate meat. The slightly sweet spoon bread balances the herby crab.
Yield: 6 servings (serving size: 1 stuffed crab and 2/3 cup spoon bread)
More From Cooking Light
Amount per serving
- Calories: 310
- Calories from fat: 27%
- Fat: 9.4g
- Saturated fat: 4g
- Monounsaturated fat: 2.6g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 1.4g
- Protein: 33.7g
- Carbohydrate: 23.5g
- Fiber: 1.2g
- Cholesterol: 86mg
- Iron: 4.5mg
- Sodium: 610mg
- Calcium: 87mg
- Spoon bread:
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons cornmeal
- 1 1/2 cups 2% reduced-fat milk
- 1 cup fresh white corn kernels (about 2 ears)
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 2 large egg yolks
- 4 large egg whites
- Cooking spray
- 1/4 cup finely chopped fresh basil
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh tarragon
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh chives
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 6 (6-ounce) soft-shell crabs, cleaned
- Preheat oven to 400°.
- To prepare the spoon bread, lightly spoon flour into a dry measuring cup. Combine flour, cornmeal, and milk in a medium saucepan, stirring with a whisk until smooth. Stir in corn, sugar, and 1 teaspoon salt. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat, stirring often. Reduce heat; simmer 3 minutes or until very thick (mixture will begin to lift up from the bottom of the pot when stirred.) Remove from heat; stir in 1 tablespoon butter and pepper.
- Spoon the corn mixture into a large bowl; stir in egg yolks. Place egg whites in a large bowl, and beat with a mixer at high speed until stiff peaks form. Gently stir one-third of egg white mixture into corn mixture; gently fold in the remaining egg white mixture. Spoon the mixture into a 2-quart baking dish coated with cooking spray. Bake at 400° for 30 minutes or until top is browned and center is set. Remove from heat; cool spoon bread on a wire rack 10 minutes.
- Preheat broiler.
- To prepare crabs, combine basil and next 5 ingredients (basil through garlic); spread 1 1/2 teaspoons herb mixture undershells of each crab. Rub outside of crabs with the remaining herb mixture. Coat tops of crabs with cooking spray; place crabs on a baking sheet lightly coated with cooking spray. Place baking sheet 8 inches away from broiler, and cook 7 minutes or until crabs are done. Serve stuffed crabs with spoon bread.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Main Dishes