Made this last night and my family loved it! I was short on time, so I cooked on high for 2 hours. Peppers were tender and not at all burned. The filling was delicious! No leftovers because my husband went back for seconds and thirds!
Herb and Sausage-Stuffed Peppers
You can set up this recipe in less than fifteen minutes, turn on the slow cooker, and go. Come back in four hours, and your supper will be ready.
Yield: 4 servings (serving size: 1 stuffed pepper)
More From Oxmoor House
Amount per serving
- Calories: 299
- Calories from fat: 0.0%
- Fat: 12.7g
- Saturated fat: 5.5g
- Monounsaturated fat: 3.4g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 1.7g
- Protein: 18g
- Carbohydrate: 28.8g
- Fiber: 4.6g
- Cholesterol: 44mg
- Iron: 2mg
- Sodium: 625mg
- Calcium: 45mg
- 3/4 cup water
- 1/2 cup uncooked couscous
- 2 (4-ounce) links spicy turkey Italian sausage
- 1/8 teaspoon kosher salt, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup crumbled garlic-and-herb goat cheese, divided
- 4 small red bell peppers (about 1 1/2 pounds)
- 2 tablespoons sliced fresh basil
- 1. Bring 3/4 cup water to a boil in a small saucepan; gradually stir in couscous. Remove from heat; cover and let stand 5 minutes. Fluff with a fork.
- 2. While couscous stands, remove casings from sausage. Cook sausage in a medium nonstick skillet over medium-high heat 4 minutes or until browned, stirring to crumble. Remove from heat. Stir in couscous, 1/4 teaspoon salt, and pepper. Stir in 6 tablespoons cheese.
- 3. Cut tops off bell peppers; reserve tops. Discard seeds and membranes. Sprinkle remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt evenly inside peppers. Divide sausage mixture evenly among peppers. Replace tops of peppers. Place stuffed peppers in a 5-quart round electric slow cooker. Cover and cook on LOW for 4 hours or until peppers are tender.
- 4. Top peppers evenly with remaining 2 tablespoons cheese and, if desired, sprinkle evenly with basil.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Main Dishes