- 3/4 cup water
- 1/2 cup uncooked couscous
- 2 (4-ounce) links spicy turkey Italian sausage
- 1/8 teaspoon kosher salt, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup crumbled garlic-and-herb goat cheese, divided
- 4 small red bell peppers (about 1 1/2 pounds)
- 2 tablespoons sliced fresh basil
- calories 299
- caloriesfromfat 0.0 %
- fat 12.7 g
- satfat 5.5 g
- monofat 3.4 g
- polyfat 1.7 g
- protein 18 g
- carbohydrate 28.8 g
- fiber 4.6 g
- cholesterol 44 mg
- iron 2 mg
- sodium 625 mg
- calcium 45 mg
How to Make It
Bring 3/4 cup water to a boil in a small saucepan; gradually stir in couscous. Remove from heat; cover and let stand 5 minutes. Fluff with a fork.
While couscous stands, remove casings from sausage. Cook sausage in a medium nonstick skillet over medium-high heat 4 minutes or until browned, stirring to crumble. Remove from heat. Stir in couscous, 1/4 teaspoon salt, and pepper. Stir in 6 tablespoons cheese.
Cut tops off bell peppers; reserve tops. Discard seeds and membranes. Sprinkle remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt evenly inside peppers. Divide sausage mixture evenly among peppers. Replace tops of peppers. Place stuffed peppers in a 5-quart round electric slow cooker. Cover and cook on LOW for 4 hours or until peppers are tender.
Top peppers evenly with remaining 2 tablespoons cheese and, if desired, sprinkle evenly with basil.