- 1 cup shortening
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 cup boiling water
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 2 (1/4 ounce) envelopes active dry yeast
- 1 cup warm water (105° to 115°)
- 6 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup butter or margarine, melted, divided
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh chives
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh basil
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh rosemary
How to Make It
Combine first 3 ingredients in a large bowl; stir in 1 cup boiling water. Cool. Stir in eggs.
Combine yeast and 1 cup warm water in a 1-cup glass measuring cup; let stand 5 minutes. Stir into egg mixture. Gradually add flour, stirring until blended. Cover and chill at least 4 hours.
Roll one-third of dough into at 14- x 10-inch rectangle. Brush with 1/2 cup melted butter; sprinkle with chives, basil and rosemary. Roll up, staring at a long end; cut crosswise into 3/4-inch-thick slices. Place in 2 lightly greased 9-inch round cakepans. Let rise and bake at 375° for 10 to 12 minutes or until golden.