I am a little confused as to how you rub the inside of the cavity after you have tied the legs together? Wouldn't you need to tie the legs after you rub the seasoning on the inside cavity?
Photo: Iain Bagwell; Styling: Heather Chadduck
This recipe goes with Easy Turkey Gravy
Yield: Makes 8 servings
More From Southern Living
Total: 6 Hours
- 1 (14-lb.) whole fresh turkey*
- Kitchen string
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon ground sage
- 1/2 teaspoon dried tarragon
- 3 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 cup butter, softened
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 2 carrots, chopped
- 2 celery ribs, chopped
- 1 garlic bulb, halved
- 1 cup dry white wine
- Garnish: fresh sage leaves
- 1. Remove giblets and neck from turkey, and rinse turkey with cold water. Drain cavity well; pat dry. Tie ends of legs together with kitchen string; tuck wingtips under. Place, breast side up, on a lightly greased roasting rack in a large roasting pan. Let stand at room temperature 1 hour.
- 2. Preheat oven to 400°. Stir together thyme, next 2 ingredients, 1 1/2 tsp. salt, and 1/2 tsp. pepper; rub mixture into cavity of turkey. Rub butter over turkey. Sprinkle remaining salt and pepper over outside of turkey; rub into skin. Arrange onions and next 3 ingredients around base of turkey in roasting pan; add wine and 1 cup water to pan.
- 3. Place turkey in oven; reduce oven temperature to 325°. Bake at 325° for 3 hours or until a meat thermometer inserted into thickest portion of thigh registers 160°.
- 4. Remove turkey from oven; increase heat to 425°. Baste turkey with pan juices, and let stand 15 minutes; return to oven. Bake at 425° for 10 to 15 minutes or until golden brown and thermometer registers 165°.
- 5. Let turkey stand in pan 30 minutes; transfer to a serving platter. Reserve pan drippings for Easy Turkey Gravy, if desired.
- *Frozen whole turkey, thawed, may be substituted.
- Recipe brought to the table by chef Frank Stitt of Highlands Bar and Grill in Birmingham, Alabama.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes Like This