- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 1 stick (1/4 lb.) unsalted butter, softened
- 3 cloves garlic, crushed
- 3 tablespoons fresh rosemary (or 1 Tbsp. dried), plus
- 1 sprig rosemary
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh thyme (or 1 Tbsp. dried), plus 1 sprig thyme
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh sage (or 2 tsp. dried)
- Salt and pepper
- 1 (12 lb.) turkey, thawed
- 1/2 lemon, cut in half
- 1/4 small onion
- calories 740
- fat 25 g
- satfat 10 g
- protein 120 g
- carbohydrate 1 g
- fiber 0 g
- cholesterol 417 mg
- sodium 801 mg
How to Make It
Set a rack in lower third of oven; preheat oven to 325°F. Combine oil, butter, garlic, chopped herbs and 1 tsp. each salt and pepper.
Remove neck and giblets; discard. Rinse turkey; pat dry. Rub oil-herb mixture over turkey and under skin. Sprinkle salt and pepper inside bird; then stuff it with lemon, onion and herb sprigs. Tuck wings under; tie legs with kitchen twine.
Place turkey, breast side up, on rack in roasting pan. Cover loosely with foil. Roast for 3 hours. Remove foil; roast for 1 to 1 1/2 hours, basting every 15 minutes, until a meat thermometer inserted in thickest part of thigh reaches 175°F.
Place turkey on a cutting board. Tent with foil; let rest for 30 minutes before carving.