- 4 (1 1/2- to 2-inch-thick) veal chops (about 3 1/2 pounds)
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil, divided
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 teaspoons paprika
- 1 1/2 teaspoons dried thyme
- 1 1/2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 3/4 teaspoon lemon pepper
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 3/4 teaspoon ground red pepper
- 1 (14 1/2-ounce) can beef broth
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1/4 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- Garnish: whole roasted shallots
How to Make It
Brush chops with 1 tablespoon oil, and rub with garlic.
Stir together paprika and next 7 ingredients in a small bowl. Rub on chops. Cover and chill 1 hour.
Heat remaining 1 tablespoon oil in a large ovenproof skillet over medium-high heat. Cook chops in hot oil 3 minutes on each side or until browned.
Bake at 350° for 20 minutes or until done. Remove chops from skillet, and keep warm, reserving drippings in skillet.
Add broth to reserved drippings, stirring to loosen particles; bring to a boil. Boil until reduced to 1 cup (about 10 minutes); skim fat. Stir together cornstarch, water, and Worcestershire sauce. Gradually stir into broth; bring to a boil. Boil, stirring constantly, 1 minute. Serve with chops. Garnish, if desired.
For Herb-Peppered Pork Chops, you can substitute 4 (1 1/2-inch-thick) pork chops for veal chops, and 1 (14 1/2-ounce) can chicken broth for beef broth.