- 1/2 pound rice vermicelli or mai fun
- 1 cup each loosely packed fresh mint, basil, and cilantro leaves or sprigs
- 1 piece (3 in.) cucumber, peeled, halved, seeded, and sliced into 1 1/2-in. matchsticks
- 1 cup fresh mung bean sprouts, rinsed
- 1 lime, cut in wedges
- Your choice of toppings:
- Grilled Beef with Lemon Grass and Garlic
- Peppery Grilled Shrimp
- Sautéed Tofu
- 2 green onions, thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup Fried Sliced Garlic
- 3 tablespoons crushed unsalted dry-roasted peanuts
- Vietnamese Dipping Sauce
- calories 220
- caloriesfromfat 4 %
- protein 6.1 g
- fat 1 g
- satfat 0.1 g
- carbohydrate 48 g
- fiber 5.2 g
- sodium 16 mg
- cholesterol 0.0 mg
How to Make It
Boil vermicelli according to package instructions. Drain, rinse with cool water, put in a bowl, and cover with a towel.
Set out herbs, cucumber, sprouts, and lime wedges on a platter. Set out cooked toppings on platters. Serve garnishes and dipping sauce in small bowls.
Before serving, check noodles; if gummy, rinse again and drain. Guests assemble their own salads: first noodles; then herbs (loosely torn), cucumber, and sprouts; then toppings; then garnishes and a drizzle of lime and/or dipping sauce.
Note: Nutritional analysis is per serving without topping.