- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 2 teaspoons canola or vegetable oil
- 1 cup shredded carrots
- 1 cup roasted garlic-and-herb pasta sauce, divided
- 1 1/2 pounds extra-lean ground beef
- 8 ounces 50%-less-fat fresh pork sausage
- 1 (10-ounce) package frozen chopped spinach, thawed and drained
- 1/2 cup uncooked regular oats
- 2 teaspoons Italian seasoning
- 1 1/4 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- Vegetable cooking spray
- Additional roasted garlic-and-herb pasta sauce (optional)
- calories 240
- caloriesfromfat 46 %
- fat 12.2 g
- satfat 4.1 g
- monofat 3.5 g
- polyfat 0.9 g
- protein 21 g
- carbohydrate 12 g
- fiber 3.3 g
- cholesterol 65 mg
- iron 3.4 mg
- sodium 670 mg
- calcium 88 mg
How to Make It
Sauté onion and garlic in hot oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat 3 minutes. Add carrots, and sauté 3 to 4 minutes or until onion is tender; cool slightly.
Combine onion mixture, 1/2 cup pasta sauce, beef, and next 7 ingredients in a large bowl until blended. Shape mixture into a 10- x 5-inch loaf. Place on a rack coated with cooking spray; place rack in broiler pan coated with cooking spray.
Bake at 350° for 45 minutes. Spread remaining 1/2 cup pasta sauce over loaf, and bake 10 to 15 more minutes or until a thermometer inserted into thickest portion registers 155°. Cover loosely with aluminum foil, and let stand 10 minutes. Serve with additional pasta sauce, if desired.
Note: For testing purposes only, we used Prego Roasted Garlic-and-Herb Pasta Sauce.
Herb-and-Veggie Turkey Loaf: Substitute 2 pounds lean ground turkey for beef and pork. Proceed with recipe as directed.
Calories 203 (25% from fat); Fat 6g (sat 5g, mono 1g, poly 6g); Protein 26g; Carb 12g; Fiber 3g; Chol 82mg; Iron 4mg; Sodium 884mg; Calc 83mg.