It's so good, family members who used to be strict vegetarians eat it.
Yield: Makes 6 to 8 servings
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 (5- to 6-pound) brisket*
- 1 onion, sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- Kosher salt, to taste
- Freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 1 (26-ounce) can tomato sauce with mushrooms
- Garnish: roasted carrots**
- Heat oil in a large heavy saucepan or Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Sear brisket on all sides. Remove from pan, and sauté onion and garlic. Return brisket to pan, and season with paprika, kosher salt, and pepper; cover with tomato sauce and 1 cup water. Cover and simmer 2 hours. Remove brisket from pan, and let cool; slice on the diagonal, return to pan, and cook 30 minutes or until tender. Garnish, if desired.
- *Ask your butcher for first-cut or flat-cut brisket, which is leaner.
- **For extra flavor, add 3 to 4 carrots to brisket 40 minutes before cooking is done.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note