great way to update a southern classic. My family loved this!
Heirloom Tomato Salad With Fresh Lady Peas
Photo: Rick Lew; Styling: Sara Foster
- 1 cup fresh lady peas or other fresh shell peas
- 1/4 cup cider vinegar
- Juice of 1 lemon (about 3 tablespoons)
- 1 shallot, minced
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- Sea salt, to taste
- Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 1 jalapeño pepper, cored, seeded, and minced
- 2 pounds assorted heirloom tomatoes, sliced into 1/4-inch rounds
- 4 fresh basil leaves, thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup crumbled soft goat cheese
- 1. Cook peas in a large pot of boiling salted water 8 to 10 minutes or until just tender. Drain, rinse until cooled completely, and drain again.
- 2. Combine vinegar and next 3 ingredients in a small bowl. Add olive oil in a thin, steady stream, whisking constantly. Add sea salt and pepper; stir in jalapeño. Drizzle half of vinaigrette over peas, and toss to coat.
- 3. Arrange tomato slices on a platter or individual plates. Spoon peas over tomato, and serve with remaining vinaigrette. Sprinkle with basil, goat cheese, and additional salt and pepper, if desired.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Salads