- 1 cup fresh lady peas or other fresh shell peas
- 1/4 cup cider vinegar
- Juice of 1 lemon (about 3 tablespoons)
- 1 shallot, minced
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- Sea salt, to taste
- Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 1 jalapeño pepper, cored, seeded, and minced
- 2 pounds assorted heirloom tomatoes, sliced into 1/4-inch rounds
- 4 fresh basil leaves, thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup crumbled soft goat cheese
How to Make It
Cook peas in a large pot of boiling salted water 8 to 10 minutes or until just tender. Drain, rinse until cooled completely, and drain again.
Combine vinegar and next 3 ingredients in a small bowl. Add olive oil in a thin, steady stream, whisking constantly. Add sea salt and pepper; stir in jalapeño. Drizzle half of vinaigrette over peas, and toss to coat.
Arrange tomato slices on a platter or individual plates. Spoon peas over tomato, and serve with remaining vinaigrette. Sprinkle with basil, goat cheese, and additional salt and pepper, if desired.