Hearty Wheat Bread
Strong coffee and stout give this wheat bread a hearty flavor and alluring aroma.
Yield: 14 servings (serving size: 1 slice)
More From Cooking Light
Amount per serving
- Calories: 114
- Calories from fat: 6%
- Fat: 0.8g
- Saturated fat: 0.1g
- Monounsaturated fat: 0.1g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 0.4g
- Protein: 4.5g
- Carbohydrate: 22g
- Fiber: 2.1g
- Cholesterol: 0.0mg
- Iron: 1.5mg
- Sodium: 222mg
- Calcium: 8mg
- 1/2 cup hot strong brewed coffee (100° to 110°)
- 1/2 cup hot Guinness Stout (100° to 110°)
- 1 package dry yeast (about 2 1/4 teaspoons)
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1/4 cup toasted wheat germ
- 1 1/2 cups bread flour, divided
- 1 1/8 teaspoons salt
- Cooking spray
- 1 tablespoon cornmeal
- Combine coffee and stout in a large bowl. Dissolve yeast in coffee mixture; let stand 5 minutes. Lightly spoon whole wheat flour into a dry measuring cup; level with a knife. Add whole wheat flour and wheat germ to yeast mixture; stir well to combine. Cover and let stand at room temperature 30 minutes to create a sponge (mixture will rise slightly and bubbles will form across the surface).
- Lightly spoon the bread flour into dry measuring cups; level with a knife. Stir 1 1/4 cups bread flour and salt into sponge; stir until a soft dough forms. Turn the dough out onto a floured surface. Knead until smooth and elastic (about 8 minutes); add enough of remaining bread flour, 1 tablespoon at a time, to prevent dough from sticking to hands (dough will feel tacky).
- Place dough in a large bowl coated with cooking spray, turning to coat top. Cover and let rise a second time in a warm place (85°), free from drafts, 1 hour or until doubled in size. (Gently press two fingers into dough. If indentation remains, dough has risen enough.) Punch dough down. Cover and let rise in a warm place (85°), free from drafts, 1 hour or until doubled in size. Punch dough down; cover and let rest for 5 minutes. Shape dough into an 8-inch oval; place on a baking sheet sprinkled with 1 tablespoon cornmeal. Lightly coat the surface of dough with cooking spray. Cover and let rise in a warm place (85°), free from drafts, for 30 minutes or until doubled in size.
- Preheat oven to 400°.
- Cut a shallow 1/4-inch slash down center of loaf. Bake at 400° for 20 minutes or until loaf is browned on bottom and sounds hollow when tapped. Cool on wire rack.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note