Hearty Sausage Soup
"I came up with this recipe to introduce my kids to cabbage, and now they love it."
Holly Ashmore, 34, Pensacola, Fla.
More From Allyou
- Calories: 418
- Fat: 24g
- Saturated fat: 6g
- Protein: 21g
- Carbohydrate: 30g
- Fiber: 5g
- Cholesterol: 46mg
- Sodium: 1203mg
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 14-oz. smoked beef sausage, sliced into 1/4-inch rounds
- 1 small head green cabbage, cored and chopped (about 3 cups)
- 1/2 pound Yukon gold potatoes, cut into 3/4-inch dice
- 5 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 28-oz. can diced fire-roasted tomatoes, undrained
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- Salt and pepper
- 1. Warm oil in a large, heavy saucepan over medium heat. Add sausage and cook, stirring occasionally, until browned on both sides, 5 to 7 minutes. Add cabbage and potatoes and cook, stirring occasionally, until cabbage starts to wilt, about 5 minutes.
- 2. Pour in chicken broth and tomatoes with juice, stir in crushed red pepper and season with salt and pepper. If necessary, add water until liquid rises just above sausage and vegetable mixture. Raise heat to high and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium and simmer, stirring once or twice, until potatoes and cabbage are tender and flavors have melded, 10 to 15 minutes. Serve hot.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note