- 2 packages dry yeast
- 1 tablespoon plus 2 teaspoons sugar, divided
- 3/4 cup warm water (105° to 115°)
- 3/4 cup milk
- 1/3 cup butter or margarine, melted
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 2 teaspoons cracked black pepper
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 1/2 cups (6 ounces) shredded sharp Cheddar cheese
- 4 1/2 to 5 cups all-purpose flour, divided
- Additional melted butter
- Sesame seeds
- Assorted meats and cheeses
How to Make It
Dissolve yeast and 1 teaspoon sugar in water in a large mixing bowl; stir well, and let stand 5 minutes or until bubbly.
Add remaining sugar, milk, 1/3 cup butter, salt, pepper, egg, and cheese to yeast mixture; stir well. Add 2 cups flour, stirring well. Stir in enough remaining flour to make a firm dough.
Turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface; knead 8 to 10 minutes or until smooth and elastic. Cover and let rise in a warm place (85°), free from drafts, 45 minutes or until doubled in bulk.
Punch dough down; let rest 15 minutes. Turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface. Divide into 20 equal portions, shaping each into a ball. Arrange rolls in a greased 13- x 9- x 2-inch baking pan. Brush lightly with additional butter; sprinkle with sesame seeds. Cover with a floured towel. Repeat rising procedure 45 minutes or until doubled in bulk.
Bake at 375° for 20 minutes or until golden brown. Serve hot with assorted meats and cheese.