I thought this was really good, but I had to add some "spices" to the soup. I added chopped parsley and seasoning salt. Also, I used Spinach and Fire Roasted Tomatoes.
Hearty Minestrone with Shells
Photo: Ryan Benyi; Styling: Lynn Miller
More From Allyou
Amount per serving
- Calories: 300
- Fat: 13g
- Saturated fat: 5g
- Protein: 15g
- Carbohydrate: 31g
- Fiber: 4g
- Cholesterol: 27mg
- Sodium: 1056mg
- 8 ounces Italian sausage, casings removed
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, chopped
- 3 celery ribs, chopped
- 1 carrot, chopped
- 4 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 15-oz. can diced tomatoes with juice
- 4 ounces green beans, trimmed, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 2 cups chopped fresh Swiss chard
- 1 15-oz. can cannellini beans, rinsed and drained
- 6 ounces medium-size pasta shells
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan
- Salt and pepper
- 1. In a large pot over medium heat, cook sausage, stirring and breaking up with a wooden spoon until no traces of pink remain, 6 to 8 minutes. Transfer meat to paper towels; drain fat from pot. Add olive oil, onion, garlic, celery and carrot and cook, stirring, until vegetables have softened, 6 to 8 minutes.
- 2. Stir in chicken broth, tomatoes with juice and 3 cups water and bring to a simmer. Add green beans and chard and simmer until very soft, about 20 minutes. Stir in beans, pasta and reserved sausage and simmer, stirring occasionally, until pasta is al dente, 8 to 10 minutes.
- 3. Stir in Parmesan and season with salt and pepper. Ladle into bowls and serve.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Soups/Stews