I thought this was really good, but I had to add some "spices" to the soup. I added chopped parsley and seasoning salt. Also, I used Spinach and Fire Roasted Tomatoes.
Hearty Minestrone with Shells
Photo: Ryan Benyi; Styling: Lynn Miller
Yield: Serves 8
Cost per Serving: $1.41
More From Allyou
Amount per serving
- Calories: 300
- Fat: 13g
- Saturated fat: 5g
- Protein: 15g
- Carbohydrate: 31g
- Fiber: 4g
- Cholesterol: 27mg
- Sodium: 1056mg
- 8 ounces Italian sausage, casings removed
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, chopped
- 3 celery ribs, chopped
- 1 carrot, chopped
- 4 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 15-oz. can diced tomatoes with juice
- 4 ounces green beans, trimmed, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 2 cups chopped fresh Swiss chard
- 1 15-oz. can cannellini beans, rinsed and drained
- 6 ounces medium-size pasta shells
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan
- Salt and pepper
- 1. In a large pot over medium heat, cook sausage, stirring and breaking up with a wooden spoon until no traces of pink remain, 6 to 8 minutes. Transfer meat to paper towels; drain fat from pot. Add olive oil, onion, garlic, celery and carrot and cook, stirring, until vegetables have softened, 6 to 8 minutes.
- 2. Stir in chicken broth, tomatoes with juice and 3 cups water and bring to a simmer. Add green beans and chard and simmer until very soft, about 20 minutes. Stir in beans, pasta and reserved sausage and simmer, stirring occasionally, until pasta is al dente, 8 to 10 minutes.
- 3. Stir in Parmesan and season with salt and pepper. Ladle into bowls and serve.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note