This was very good. I followed the recipe as-is and the only thing I'd change is cutting back on the red pepper flakes. It wasn't overly hot, but I didn't find it added anything by putting heat into this already-good soup. I'm thinking of throwing in a few cheese tortellini later on when I reheat.
Hearty Minestrone Soup
Photo: © Kana Okada
The Good News: This satisfying soup from David Bull is an excellent source of fiber.
- 1 1/4 cups dried white beans, soaked overnight and drained (8 ounces)
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 ounces pancetta, finely diced
- 2 medium shallots, minced
- 2 large celery ribs, finely diced
- 1 medium onion, finely diced
- 1 large carrot, finely diced
- 1/2 fennel bulb, cored and diced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 14-ounce can plum tomatoes, chopped juices reserved
- 1 quart low-sodium chicken broth
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1 cup baby arugula
- 1/2 cup flat-leaf parsley leaves
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- In a pot, cover the beans with 2 inches of water and bring to a boil. Simmer over low heat until tender, about 2 hours; add water to keep the beans covered. Drain the beans and reserve the cooking liquid.
- Meanwhile, in another pot, heat 2 tablespoons of the oil. Add the pancetta and cook over moderate heat until crisp, 4 minutes. Add the shallots, celery, onion, carrot and fennel, and cook until softened. Add the garlic, crushed pepper and bay leaves and cook, stirring, until fragrant. Add the tomato paste and cook, stirring, for 2 minutes. Stir in the tomatoes and broth; bring to a boil. Simmer over low heat for 1 hour. Add the beans and enough cooking liquid to thin out the soup. Discard the bay leaves; season with salt and pepper.
- In a bowl, toss the arugula and parsley with the lemon juice and remaining 1 tablespoon of oil. Season with salt and pepper. Serve the soup in bowls; top with the salad.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes Like This