Hearty Mac and Cheese
Yield: Makes 4 servings
More From Southern Living
- 1 (8-ounce) package elbow macaroni
- 1 1/2 cups diced cooked ham
- 1/2 small onion, chopped
- Vegetable cooking spray
- 1 cup frozen green peas, thawed
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon ground red pepper
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 cups milk
- 1 (8-ounce) block sharp Cheddar cheese, shredded
- Prepare pasta according to package directions. Drain and keep warm.
- Sauté ham and onion in a large nonstick skillet coated with cooking spray over medium-high heat 5 minutes; stir in peas and next 3 ingredients. Set aside.
- Melt butter in a large saucepan or Dutch oven over medium-low heat; whisk in flour until smooth. Cook, whisking constantly, 2 minutes. Gradually whisk in milk, and cook, whisking constantly, 5 minutes or until mixture is thickened. Remove from heat.
- Stir in 1 1/2 cups cheese, stirring until melted. Stir in cooked pasta and ham mixture. Sprinkle with remaining 1/2 cup cheese. Serve immediately.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Main Dishes