Delicious! Only change I made was to add lots more garlic. Goes great with the Parmesan Pepper Cornbread Biscotti.
Hearty Italian Soup with Parmesan-Pepper Cornbread Biscotti
Photo: Iain Bagwell; Styling: Jan Gautro
Yield: Makes 12 cups
More From Southern Living
Total: 2 Hours, 40 Minutes
- 1 (16-oz.) package mild Italian sausage
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 large onion, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 (48-oz.) container chicken broth
- 2 (15-oz.) cans cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
- 2 (14.5-oz.) cans diced tomatoes
- 1 teaspoon dried Italian seasoning
- 1 (5-oz.) package baby spinach
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh basil
- Freshly shaved Parmesan cheese
- Parmesan-Pepper Cornbread Biscotti
- 1. Cook sausage in hot oil in a Dutch oven over medium heat 7 to 8 minutes on each side or until browned. Remove sausage from Dutch oven, reserving drippings in Dutch oven. Sauté onion in hot drippings 3 minutes or until tender. Add garlic, and sauté 1 minute. Cut sausage into 1/4-inch-thick slices, and return to Dutch oven.
- 2. Stir chicken broth and next 3 ingredients into sausage mixture; bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Reduce heat to medium-low, and simmer 25 minutes.
- 3. Stir in spinach and next 2 ingredients; cook, stirring occasionally, 5 to 6 minutes or until spinach is wilted. Top each serving with Parmesan cheese. Serve with Parmesan-Pepper Cornbread Biscotti.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note