Hearty Ham-and-Collard Stew
This good-luck dish is tasty any time of the year. Let the collards enjoy a long simmer, then add the beans at the end.
More From Southern Living
- Calories: 179
- Calories from fat: 12%
- Fat: 2.4g
- Saturated fat: 0.1g
- Monounsaturated fat: 0.3g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 0.4g
- Protein: 13g
- Carbohydrate: 26g
- Fiber: 8.8g
- Cholesterol: 15mg
- Iron: 2.2mg
- Sodium: 748mg
- Calcium: 141mg
- 1 large sweet onion, diced (about 1 1/2 cups)
- 3 celery ribs, diced
- 1 (8-ounce) lean ham steak, diced
- 1 teaspoon vegetable oil
- 1 (14-ounce) can fat-free chicken broth
- 1 (29-ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 1 (1-pound) package fresh collard greens, washed, trimmed, and chopped
- 3 (16-ounce) cans pinto beans, rinsed and drained
- Sauté diced onion, diced celery, and diced ham in hot vegetable oil in a large Dutch oven over medium-high heat 8 minutes or until onion is tender.
- Stir in chicken broth, diced tomatoes, and chopped collard greens; bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer, stirring occasionally, 45 minutes.
- Stir in beans, and simmer, stirring occasionally, 10 minutes or until thoroughly heated.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note