My friends and I really enjoyed this--we love fennel. I just used shrimp and mussels to save a little $.
- 1 red onion, chopped
- 1 fennel bulb, cored and chopped
- 2 serrano chiles, seeded and chopped
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 orange or yellow bell pepper, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 (28-ounce) can crushed tomatoes
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 2 cups fish or chicken broth
- 1 cup dry white wine
- 2 cups zucchini, cubed (about 2 medium)
- 1/2 tablespoon chopped fresh rosemary
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 12 sea scallops or 1 pound bay scallops
- 12 jumbo shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 12 mussels, scrubbed and debearded
- 1 pound red snapper or other firm, white fish, cut into large chunks
- Cook onion, fennel, and chiles in oil over medium heat in a Dutch oven until onion is tender. Add bell pepper and garlic; cook, stirring constantly, 3 minutes. Stir in tomatoes and next 5 ingredients. Bring to a boil; cover, reduce heat, and simmer 45 minutes.
- Stir in zucchini and rosemary; bring to a simmer, and simmer 10 minutes. Remove and discard bay leaf. Stir in salt and pepper.
- Add scallops and shrimp, and cook 3 minutes. Add mussels and fish; cook 4 more minutes or until mussels open and fish flakes easily when tested with a fork.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Soups/Stews