- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 2 cloves minced garlic
- 1 pound skinless, boneless chicken breast, cubed
- 3/4 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 4 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 (15-ounce) can fire- roasted tomatoes
- 1 (15-ounce) can hominy, rinsed and drained
- 1 tablespoon diced green chile
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- Fresh cilantro for garnish
- calories 303
- fat 9 g
- satfat 2 g
- monofat 4 g
- polyfat 2 g
- cholesterol 63 mg
- protein 30 g
- carbohydrate 26 g
- sugars 6 g
- fiber 4 g
- sodium 743 mg
How to Make It
Heat oil in a 3-quart saucepan over medium heat.
Add onions and cook until soft, 6–7 minutes.
Add garlic and cook, stirring, an additional 2 minutes.
Add chicken, cumin, and oregano and cook, stirring, until just cooked through, 5 minutes.
Add broth, tomatoes, hominy, green chile, salt, and pepper and bring to a boil. Reduce heat, skimming foam from top of soup, and simmer 10 minutes, until liquid has thickened slightly.
Divide among 4 bowls and serve immediately with tortilla chips alongside, if desired.