I have made these every year since they first appeared in Southern Living in 2003. They are so easy and so good.
Hearty Black-eyed Peas
Black-eyed peas are a traditional New Year's dish. Make this hearty version, flavored with ham hock and spicy peppers, to start the year off on the right flavor note.
More From Southern Living
- 3 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 3 cups water
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 smoked ham hock
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 4 whole jalapeño peppers (optional)
- 1 (16-oz.) package dried black-eyed peas
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1. Bring first 6 ingredients and, if desired, jalapeños to a boil in a Dutch oven; cover, reduce heat, and simmer 30 minutes.
- 2. Rinse and sort peas according to package directions. Add peas and 1/2 tsp. salt to Dutch oven, and cook, covered, 1 hour or until peas are tender. If desired, remove meat from ham hock, finely chop, and return to Dutch oven. Season with remaining 1/2 tsp. salt or to taste.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Side Dishes/Vegetables