Hearty and satisfying! Not too hard either. I threw my pearled barley in at the beginning and fished the garlic out with a spoon later. That gave the barley enough time to cook. I had an extra poblano pepper so I cut that up and threw it in with the onions, carrots, and celery. I might add more rosemary and salt, but other than that, delicious!
Hearty Bean and Barley Soup
This satisfying bean and barley soup features a delicious and iron-packed combination of red kidney beans and spinach. It's also high in fiber and calcium.
More From Cooking Light
- Calories: 208
- Calories from fat: 15%
- Fat: 3.4g
- Saturated fat: 1.4g
- Monounsaturated fat: 1.4g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 0.4g
- Protein: 11.4g
- Carbohydrate: 34g
- Fiber: 8g
- Cholesterol: 5mg
- Iron: 2.3mg
- Sodium: 615mg
- Calcium: 156mg
- 7 cups fat free, less-sodium chicken broth
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 6 garlic cloves, crushed
- 2 (4-inch) rosemary sprigs
- 1 (19-ounce) can dark red kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 cup finely chopped carrot
- 1/4 cup chopped celery
- 1 (14 1/2-ounce) can diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 cup uncooked quick-cooking barley
- 10 cup torn spinach leaves (about 4 ounces)
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup (2 ounces) grated fresh Parmesan cheese
- Bring first 4 ingredients to a boil in a Dutch oven; reduce heat to medium-low, and cook 15 minutes. Drain through a sieve into a large bowl; discard solids.
- Measure 1 cup beans, and mash with a fork in a small bowl. Reserve the remaining whole beans.
- Heat oil in pan over medium heat. Add onions, carrot, and celery; cook 4 minutes. Add broth mixture, mashed beans, whole beans, tomatoes, and barley; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer 15 minutes. Stir in spinach and black pepper; cook 5 minutes or until barley is tender. Sprinkle each serving with cheese.
To ensure rich flavor, add garlic and herbs to canned broth for a homemade taste. Mashing a portion of the beans gives the soup extra body.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note