- 7 cups fat free, less-sodium chicken broth
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 6 garlic cloves, crushed
- 2 (4-inch) rosemary sprigs
- 1 (19-ounce) can dark red kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 cup finely chopped carrot
- 1/4 cup chopped celery
- 1 (14 1/2-ounce) can diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 cup uncooked quick-cooking barley
- 10 cup torn spinach leaves (about 4 ounces)
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup (2 ounces) grated fresh Parmesan cheese
- calories 208
- caloriesfromfat 15 %
- fat 3.4 g
- satfat 1.4 g
- monofat 1.4 g
- polyfat 0.4 g
- protein 11.4 g
- carbohydrate 34 g
- fiber 8 g
- cholesterol 5 mg
- iron 2.3 mg
- sodium 615 mg
- calcium 156 mg
How to Make It
Bring first 4 ingredients to a boil in a Dutch oven; reduce heat to medium-low, and cook 15 minutes. Drain through a sieve into a large bowl; discard solids.
Measure 1 cup beans, and mash with a fork in a small bowl. Reserve the remaining whole beans.
Heat oil in pan over medium heat. Add onions, carrot, and celery; cook 4 minutes. Add broth mixture, mashed beans, whole beans, tomatoes, and barley; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer 15 minutes. Stir in spinach and black pepper; cook 5 minutes or until barley is tender. Sprinkle each serving with cheese.
To ensure rich flavor, add garlic and herbs to canned broth for a homemade taste. Mashing a portion of the beans gives the soup extra body.