Hearts of Palm Salad
Thomas J. Story
Notes: To make a main-course salad for 6, increase the shrimp to 1 pound. Prep time: about 30 minutes.
Yield: Makes 6 servings
More From Sunset
Amount per serving
- Calories: 152
- Calories from fat: 77%
- Protein: 4.3g
- Fat: 13g
- Saturated fat: 2.2g
- Carbohydrate: 5.5g
- Fiber: 1.8g
- Sodium: 451mg
- Cholesterol: 71mg
- 1/4 cup fat-skimmed chicken broth
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons white wine vinegar or rice vinegar
- 2 tablespoons drained capers
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons minced shallots
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 2 cans (14 to 16 oz. each) hearts of palm (packed in water), drained and rinsed with cold water
- 2 hard-cooked large eggs, shelled
- 1/4 cup minced parsley
- 4 ounces shelled cooked tiny shrimp
- 1 firm-ripe avocado (8 oz.)
- Salt and pepper
- 1. In a bowl, mix broth, olive oil, vinegar, capers, lemon juice, shallots, and mustard. If desired, cut hearts of palm in half lengthwise. Lay hearts of palm in dressing, turn over, and let stand at least 5 minutes.
- 2. Separate egg yolks from whites. Chop both or finely mash with a fork; keep separate.
- 3. Lift hearts of palm from dressing and arrange on salad plates. Add parsley and shrimp to dressing in bowl and mix. Pit, peel, and thinly slice avocado; arrange on salads. Spoon shrimp and all the dressing over the hearts of palm and avocado. Sprinkle with egg whites, then yolks. Add salt and pepper to taste.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note