Hearth-Baked Chili-Cheese Sourdough
More From Sunset
Amount per serving
- Calories: 101
- Calories from fat: 9.8%
- Protein: 4.1g
- Fat: 1.1g
- Saturated fat: 0.5g
- Carbohydrate: 18g
- Fiber: 0.8g
- Sodium: 134mg
- Cholesterol: 2.1mg
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup sourdough starter
- 3 cups bread flour
- 1/2 cup rye flour
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 package dry active yeast
- 1/3 cup shredded dry jack or parmesan cheese
- 1/4 cup minced fresh jalapeÃ±o chilies
- 1. Add ingredients to bread machine pan according to manufacturer's directions.
- 2. Select dough cycle.
- 3. Scrape dough onto a board coated generously with bread flour. Taking care not to puncture or tear dough surface (interior is sticky), pat dough gently with floured hands to form a round loaf about 8 inches wide; do not knead. Sprinkle 2 tablespoons bread flour over dough.
- 4. Slide a pastry scraper or wide spatula under loaf to loosen, then lift quickly and carefully onto a buttered 14- by 17-inch baking sheet. Pat to reshape loaf, if necessary.
- 5. Lightly cover loaf with plastic wrap and let stand until puffy, about 30 minutes. Remove plastic.
- 6. With a floured razor blade or very sharp knife, cut 2 to 3 slashes about 1/2 inch deep across top of loaf.
- 7. Bake in a 425º oven until richly browned, 25 to 30 minutes.
- 8. After loaf has baked 25 minutes, sprinkle and additional 1/4 cup shredded dry jack or parmesan cheese over it, then continue to bake as directed.
- 9. Transfer loaf to a rack to cool at least 15 minutes before slicing. Serve hot, warm, or cool.
- To make a 2-pound loaf, use 1 1/3 cups water, 1 1/3 cups sourdough starter, 4 cups bread flour, 2/3 cup rye flour, 4 teaspoons sugar, 1 teaspoon salt, and 1 package active dry yeast, 1/2 cup shredded dry jack or parmesan cheese, and 1/3 cup minced fresh jalapeño chilies.
- Nutritional analysis per ounce.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note