Healthy Stuffed Cabbage Rolls
Share Your Personal Recipes
You can now share your personal recipes with the MyRecipes Community by making a new or existing recipe "Public".
Go to My Recipe File
- 1 cup(s) brown rice
- 1 medium head green cabbage
- 1 pound(s) extra-lean ground turkey breast
- 1 medium yellow onion chopped, divided
- 3 ripe on-the-vine or Roma tomatoes seeded, cored and diced
- 2 teaspoon(s) dried oregano
- 2 teaspoon(s) cinnamon
- 1+1/8 teaspoon(s) cayenne pepper
- 1/2 cup(s) whole-wheat bread crumbs
- 2 large egg whites
- olive oil cooking spray
- 6 ounce(s) can unsalted tomato paste
- 4 ounce(s) can no-salt-added sliced mushrooms diced
- 1/4 cup(s) apple cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon(s) fresh thyme minced
- sea salt and fresh ground black pepper to taste
- Cook rice according to package. Fill a large pot with water and bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Remove from heat. Put cabbage head in a colander and pour boiling water over cabbage. (This will make cabbage leaves more pliable so you can fold them.) Remove 8 to 9 leaves of cabbage and set aside. Chop remaining cabbage.
- In a large nonstick or cast-iron skillet over medium-high heat, saute turkey for about 5 minutes or until no longer pink. Reserve 2 tbsp onion for sauce; add remaining onion to turkey in skillet. Saute for an additional 3 minutes or until onion is no longer translucent. Add tomatoes, 1 spoon of oregano, 1 spoon of cinnamon and 1/8 spoon of cayenne, and saute for another 2 minutes.
- Remove pan from heat. In a large bowl, mix together cooked rice, bread crumbs and egg whites; ten combine with turkey mixture.
- To stuff cabbage rolls, place about 1/2 cup turkey mixture in the middle of a cabbage leaf. Fold outer edges into the middle and bottom edge up. Then roll stuffed leaf away from you, about 1 full turn, until sealed. Secure with toothpicks. Preheat oven to 375F.
- To make sauce: Heat a medium nonstick or cast-iron saucepan over medium-high heat for 1 minute. Mist with cooking spray. Add reserved 2 tbsp onion and saute for about 2 minutes or translucent. Stir in tomato paste, mushrooms, 1/2 cup water, vinegar, rest of oregano, cinnamon, cayenne and thyme. Season with salt and black pepper. Cook for about 2 more minutes. Remove from heat and spread 1 to 2 tbsp sauce into a medium-sized casserole dish. Place all stuffed cabbage leaved into dish and pour remaining sauce overtop.
- Cover casserole dish with aluminum foil and bake for about 45 minutes.
This recipe is a personal recipe added by Ftoast and has not been tested or endorsed by MyRecipes.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note