Healthy Holiday Spice Cookies
Freeze: 10 Minutes
- 2 tablespoon(s) butter, softened
- 2 tablespoon(s) unrefined palm sugar or jaggery
- 3 packets stevia sweetener powder, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon(s) baking powder
- 1/8 teaspoon(s) nutmeg
- Pinch ground cloves
- 2 tablespoon(s) pureed cooked, peeled sweet potato
- 2 tablespoon(s) liquid egg white
- 2 teaspoon(s) vanilla extract, divided
- 1/2 cup(s) whole-wheat pastry flour
- 1 tablespoon(s) flaxseed meal
- 2 tablespoon(s) fat-free cream cheese, softened
- 1. Heat the oven to 375 degrees. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- 2. In a medium bowl, combine the butter, palm sugar, 2 packets of the stevia, the baking powder, nutmeg and cloves. Mix until well combined. Add the sweet potato, egg white and 1 teaspoon of the vanilla, then mix until combined. Beat in the flour and flaxseed meal.
- 3. Shape the dough into a round, flat disk. Place the disk between 2 sheets of waxed paper. Use a rolling pin to roll the dough to 1/8-inch thick. Place the dough on a baking sheet and place in the freezer for about 10 minutes, or until the dough is very firm.
- 4. Remove the dough from the freezer and peel off the top sheet of paper. Use 2½- to 3-inch cookie cutters to cut out 12 cookies. If necessary, place the dough back in the freezer after making the cutouts. This will help the dough firm back up, making it easier to transfer the cutouts from the paper to the prepared baking sheet.
- 5. Place dough cutouts on parchment paper-lined cookie sheet. Bake 7 to 8 minutes, or until the tops are just dry and edges are just starting to brown. Transfer to a wire rack to cool.
- 6. To make the frosting, in a small bowl, combine the cream cheese, the remaining packet of stevia and the remaining 1 teaspoon of vanilla. Whisk until smooth. Spoon the icing into a piping bag fitted with a small open tip. Decorate the cooled cookies with the icing.
This recipe is a personal recipe added by psfreeman and has not been tested or endorsed by MyRecipes.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note