This is the cake! It is very moist from the brushing of the sweet coconut milk and the fluffy frosting is yummy!. I did spread a thin layer of Lemon Curd over the layers after brushing them with the coconut milk and then frosted and put on coconut. One note tho', I would omit the marshmallows next time I make the cake, the meringue the recipe makes is quite Queenly enough! It makes great peaks, very glossy and makes a presentation. Everybody enjoyed this cake! Great for birthdays or any celebration!
Hazel's Fresh Coconut Cake
More From Oxmoor House
Other: 10 Minutes
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 2 cups sugar
- 4 large eggs
- 2 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup milk
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 teaspoons almond extract
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1/4 cup fresh coconut milk
- Boiled Frosting
- 2 to 3 cups shredded fresh coconut (about 2 coconuts)
- Garnishes: kumquats, crab apples
- Beat butter at medium speed with an electric mixer until creamy; gradually add 2 cups sugar, beating well. Add eggs, 1 at a time, beating until blended after each addition.
- Combine flour, baking powder, and salt; add to butter mixture alternately with milk, beginning and ending with flour mixture. Beat at low speed until blended after each addition. Stir in flavorings. Pour batter into 3 greased and floured 9" round cakepans.
- Bake at 350° for 18 to 20 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool in pans on wire racks 10 minutes; remove from pans, and cool on wire racks.
- Combine 2 tablespoons sugar and coconut milk in a small glass bowl. Microwave on HIGH 1 minute; stir until sugar dissolves. Brush 1 cake layer with half of coconut milk mixture, leaving a 1/2" margin around edges. Spread with 1 cup Boiled Frosting, and sprinkle with 1/2 cup shredded coconut. Top with second cake layer, and repeat procedure. Top with remaining cake layer. Spread remaining frosting on top and sides of cake; sprinkle with remaining coconut. Garnish, if desired.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note