This is the cake! It is very moist from the brushing of the sweet coconut milk and the fluffy frosting is yummy!. I did spread a thin layer of Lemon Curd over the layers after brushing them with the coconut milk and then frosted and put on coconut. One note tho', I would omit the marshmallows next time I make the cake, the meringue the recipe makes is quite Queenly enough! It makes great peaks, very glossy and makes a presentation. Everybody enjoyed this cake! Great for birthdays or any celebration!
Hazel's Fresh Coconut Cake
Southerner Hazel Burwell has been making this stately cake for her family for over 40 years. She brushes the layers with a coconut syrup to keep the cake moist, and adds marshmallows to the frosting to keep it soft.
More From Oxmoor House
Other: 10 Minutes
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 2 cups sugar
- 4 large eggs
- 2 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup milk
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 teaspoons almond extract
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1/4 cup fresh coconut milk
- Boiled Frosting
- 2 to 3 cups shredded fresh coconut (about 2 coconuts)
- Garnishes: kumquats, crab apples
- Beat butter at medium speed with an electric mixer until creamy; gradually add 2 cups sugar, beating well. Add eggs, 1 at a time, beating until blended after each addition.
- Combine flour, baking powder, and salt; add to butter mixture alternately with milk, beginning and ending with flour mixture. Beat at low speed until blended after each addition. Stir in flavorings. Pour batter into 3 greased and floured 9" round cakepans.
- Bake at 350° for 18 to 20 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool in pans on wire racks 10 minutes; remove from pans, and cool on wire racks.
- Combine 2 tablespoons sugar and coconut milk in a small glass bowl. Microwave on HIGH 1 minute; stir until sugar dissolves. Brush 1 cake layer with half of coconut milk mixture, leaving a 1/2" margin around edges. Spread with 1 cup Boiled Frosting, and sprinkle with 1/2 cup shredded coconut. Top with second cake layer, and repeat procedure. Top with remaining cake layer. Spread remaining frosting on top and sides of cake; sprinkle with remaining coconut. Garnish, if desired.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Desserts