I made this last night for my family and they had seconds! I modified this by mixing the whipping cream with fat free fromage blanc and a little sugar, and I made a strawberry puree with a little jam for sweetness that I put it on the bottom of the plate so it wouldn't be so white. I made the meringues heart-shaped since this was for Valentine's day.
Hazelnut Meringues with Kumquat Conserva
Photo: Annabelle Breakey; Stylist: Emma Star Jensen
More From Sunset
Prep And Cook:
2 Hours, 15 Minutes
Cool: 1 Hour
Amount per serving
- Calories: 791
- Calories from fat: 48%
- Protein: 8.4g
- Fat: 45g
- Saturated fat: 20g
- Carbohydrate: 94g
- Fiber: 7.3g
- Sodium: 42mg
- Cholesterol: 89mg
- 2 large egg whites, at room temperature
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 1 1/4 teaspoons vanilla extract, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 1/4 cups roasted hazelnuts, skins rubbed off; coarsely chop 1 cup
- 1 cup whipping cream
- 1 cup crème fraîche
- Kumquat Conserva
- 1. Preheat oven to 300°. Beat egg whites with a mixer on high speed until frothy. Beat in sugar, adding 1 tbsp. every 20 to 30 seconds, until meringue holds firm peaks when beaters are lifted. Beat in 3/4 tsp. vanilla extract and the cinnamon. Fold in all the nuts. Scoop meringue into 6 mounds on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
- 2. Bake meringues 30 minutes. Reduce oven to 200° and bake until meringues are firm and crisp, 1 1/4 hours more. Turn off oven; let meringues sit at least 1 hour or overnight.
- 3. Beat cream with remaining 1/2 tsp. vanilla extract in a bowl until thick. Fold in crème fraîche and spoon into 6 shallow bowls. Set a meringue on each and spoon conserva on top.
- Make ahead: For meringues, up to 5 days, stored airtight at room temperature.
- Note: Nutritional analysis is per serving with 1/3 cup conserva.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Desserts