Hazelnut Herb Salad
Tarragon, chives, and parsley temper the richness of the hazelnuts. Prep and Cook Time: 35 minutes. Notes: You can make the dressing up to 2 days ahead and chill it, covered, until ready to serve. The hazelnuts can be roasted and chopped up to 2 days ahead, covered, and kept at room temperature.
More From Sunset
- Calories: 152
- Calories from fat: 95%
- Protein: 2.1g
- Fat: 16g
- Saturated fat: 1.5g
- Carbohydrate: 2.6g
- Fiber: 1.2g
- Sodium: 197mg
- Cholesterol: 18mg
- 1 cup hazelnuts
- About 3/4 tsp. salt, divided
- 1 bunch chives
- Leaves from 5 sprigs tarragon
- Leaves from 3 sprigs flat-leaf parsley
- 1/4 cup hazelnut oil
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 egg yolk
- 1/4 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- About 1/4 tsp. freshly ground black pepper
- 3 heads butter or Bibb lettuce
- 1. Preheat oven to 375°. Put hazelnuts on a baking sheet and bake 10 minutes. Wrap nuts in a clean kitchen towel and rub vigorously to remove as much skin as possible. Roughly chop nuts and set aside.
- 2. Fill a medium saucepan with water and bring to a boil. Add 1/2 tsp. salt, chives, tarragon, and parsley. Cook 30 seconds; drain. Rinse herbs with very cold water and use your hands to squeeze out as much water from them as possible. Chop herbs and put in a blender.
- 3. Add oils and whirl until herbs are puréed, 2 to 3 minutes.
- 4. In a small bowl, whisk egg yolk and mustard together. Add a drop of the herb-oil mixture and whisk until fully incorporated. Repeat with the remaining herb-oil mixture, adding only 1/2 tsp. at a time to create a thick, mayonnaise-like dressing. Whisk in remaining 1/4 tsp. salt, the lemon juice, and pepper. Add more salt and pepper to taste if you like.
- 5. Tear lettuce leaves into bite-size pieces and put in a large bowl. Toss gently but thoroughly with dressing. Garnish with reserved hazelnuts and serve immediately.
- Note: Nutritional analysis is per serving.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Salads