Hazelnut-crusted Grilled Cheese Sandwiches with Figs
Time: 25 minutes. The flavors of a good a cheese plate--salty, sweet, nutty--mingle in this sandwich. We loved its hazelnut crust, and also enjoyed the sandwich just as much with ripe teleme cheese from California.
More From Sunset
- Calories: 555
- Calories from fat: 58%
- Protein: 20g
- Fat: 36g
- Saturated fat: 15g
- Carbohydrate: 38g
- Fiber: 2.9g
- Sodium: 693mg
- Cholesterol: 85mg
- 1/4 cup hazelnuts
- 1/2 teaspoon minced fresh rosemary leaves
- 4 freshly cut thin slices rustic white bread
- 1 1/2 teaspoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons fig spread*
- 4 slices port salut cheese
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1. In a food processor, pulse hazelnuts with rosemary until finely ground (be careful not to make a paste). Pour onto a plate.
- 2. Brush 1 side of each bread slice with oil and press it into nut mixture.
- 3. Spread uncoated side of 2 of the slices with fig spread. Top with cheese and second bread slices, nut-crusted side out.
- 4. Melt butter in a large nonstick frying pan over medium heat. Add sandwiches and cook, turning once, until golden brown and cheese is melted, about 8 minutes.
- *Heather Auguello likes the Dalmatia Fig Spread from Whole Foods Market; it's also available by mail order from dalmatiaimports.com.
- Note: Nutritional analysis is per sandwich.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note