- 1 large cabbage, finely shredded
- 4 small onions, chopped
- 4 cups finely chopped tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons salt
- 2 1/2 cups sugar
- 1 1/2 tablespoons celery seeds
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground mace
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground turmeric
- 5 cups vinegar
How to Make It
Combine cabbage, onion, and tomatoes in a large mixing bowl; sprinkle with salt, and let stand 30 minutes. Drain well.
Combine remaining ingredients in a large Dutch oven; bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer 20 minutes. Add drained vegetables, and simmer an additional 10 minutes.
Pack mixture into hot sterilized jars, leaving 1/4-inch headspace. Cover at once with metal lids, and screw bands tight. Process in boiling-water bath 5 minutes.
Serve salad as a relish at room temperature or chilled.