- 1 (12-oz.) pkg. Hawaiian sweet dinner rolls, cubed
- 12 ounces day-old white bread, cubed
- 4 thick-cut bacon slices
- 1 cup finely chopped yellow onion (about 1 medium onion)
- 1 cup finely chopped carrots (about 2 medium carrots)
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 cups unsalted chicken stock
- 3/4 cup unsalted butter, melted
- 6 large eggs
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh sage
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh chives
- 1 tablespoon orange zest
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
How to Make It
Preheat oven to 400°F. Spread cubed rolls and bread on baking sheets in single layers; bake in preheated oven until toasted, about 20 minutes. Let stand until ready to use.
Cook bacon in a skillet over medium until crisp, about 7 minutes. Transfer to a plate lined with paper towels to drain, reserving drippings in skillet. Add onion, carrots, and garlic to skillet; cook, stirring often, until softened, about 5 minutes. Remove skillet from heat. Crumble bacon.
Whisk together stock, butter, eggs, sage, chives, zest, salt, and pepper in a large bowl. Add toasted bread cubes, onion mixture, and crumbled bacon; toss to combine. Let stand 20 minutes. Spread mixture in a lightly greased 13- x 9-inch glass baking dish. Bake in preheated oven until top and sides are golden brown and mixture is set, about 25 minutes.