Spam and pineapple. No reviews. And a favorite recipe of 2011.
Hawaiian Pig-Out Burgers
More From Sunset
Amount per serving
- Calories: 762
- Calories from fat: 46%
- Protein: 35g
- Fat: 36g
- Saturated fat: 14g
- Carbohydrate: 70g
- Fiber: 2.2g
- Sodium: 1419mg
- Cholesterol: 114mg
- 1 pound ground pork
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 2 teaspoons vegetable oil
- 1 tablespoon reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon packed light brown sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons lime juice
- 4 slices pineapple, about 1/2 in. thick, peeled and cored
- 4 slices Spam, about 1/4 in. thick (about 5 oz.)
- 4 slices Maui onion or other sweet onion, about 1/4 in. thick
- 4 Hawaiian sandwich rolls (about 11 oz. total)
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- Homemade or store-bought coleslaw (preferably made with finely shredded red and green cabbage)
- 1. Heat a grill to medium heat (350° to 450°). In a medium bowl, mix pork, salt, and pepper until just combined (do not overmix). Divide into 4 portions and form into 1/2-in. patties with a slight depression in the center of each to help them cook evenly. Brush burgers with oil.
- 2. Whisk together soy sauce, brown sugar, and lime juice in a small bowl to combine. Brush pineapple and Spam slices with soy mixture.
- 3. Grill burgers, pineapple, Spam, and onion, turning once, until burger is cooked through, grill marks form on pineapple and Spam, and onion softens, about 3 minutes for Spam and 7 minutes for other ingredients. Grill rolls, cut side down, until grill marks form, about 2 minutes.
- 4. Spread bottoms of rolls with mayonnaise. Top with burgers, onion, pineapple, and Spam. Spoon a small amount of coleslaw on each and cover with tops of rolls.
- Note: Nutritional analysis is per burger.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note