- 2 large firm apples, peeled, cored, and halved vertically
- Cooking spray
- 4 tablespoons brown sugar, divided
- 2 1/2 tablespoons butter, melted and divided
- 3/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon, divided
- 2 tablespoons old-fashioned rolled oats
- 1 teaspoon all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 1/2 cups low-fat vanilla ice cream
- calories 260
- fat 9.2 g
- satfat 5.4 g
- monofat 1.9 g
- polyfat 0.4 g
- protein 3 g
- carbohydrate 43 g
- fiber 3 g
- cholesterol 23 mg
- iron 0.0 mg
- sodium 222 mg
- calcium 99 mg
How to Make It
Preheat oven to 400°.
Starting at the outermost edges, cut most (but not all) of the way through each apple half at 1/8-inch intervals. Place apple halves, cut sides down, in an 8-inch square glass or ceramic baking dish coated with cooking spray. Combine 1 tablespoon sugar, 1 tablespoon butter, and 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon; brush mixture evenly over apple.
Cover pan with foil; bake at 400° for 20 minutes. Remove foil. Bake at 400° for 10 minutes or until apples are tender. Remove pan from oven; cool 10 minutes.
Combine remaining 3 tablespoons sugar, remaining 1 1/2 tablespoons butter, remaining 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon, oats, flour, and salt. Carefully fan open apple halves. Spoon oat mixture evenly over apples. Bake at 400° for 10 minutes. Turn broiler to high (leave pan in oven); broil 2 minutes. Serve with ice cream.